Govt. Serchhip College, an outcome of the joint venture of Serchhip and Chhiahtlang people was established on 25th August, 1973. In the past, students after getting their matriculation, had to move out for Aizawl or to outside the State to continue higher studies, a daunting task for many of the parents and families, most of whom were rural folk who were financially and educationally underprivileged.
In 1975, it was given affiliation by North Eastern Hill University (NEHU) and subsequently to Mizoram University when the University was established on 2001. The state government gave financial assistance to the College under ‘Govt. Aided Scheme’ and was upgraded to the Deficit Grant-in-aid Status with effect from 1st November, 1984 until it was provincialised by the Govt. of Mizoram on 1st January, 1989. The College has also been placed under section 2(f) and 12(B) of the UGC Act, 1956 vide letter No.F.No.8-93/86 (CPP-1) dt. 27. 10. 1990. Starting with Arts Faculty comprising of five Departments only in 1973, the number of department had now increased to fourteen with Science stream introduced in 1998. But, due to the amalgamation policy of the government, science stream was pulled back in 2000. Fortunately, the science stream at present, the college has 14 departments, which are constituents of two faculties – Arts and Science. There are 156 under-graduate students (73 boys and 94 girls) in the academic session 2009 – 2010 pursuing their education under 56 teaching staff (31 permanent and 25 guest lecturers).